Okay, so I was too dour over PTC's purchase of MathCAD. Here is where PTC plans to use MathCAD [pdf] software:
- Mathcad calculations drive CAD models, and vice versa
- Possibility of Mathcad capturing knowledge during design process
- Predict model behavior with Mathcad, and then validate with Pro/ENGINEER Mechanica
– Reduce iterations
– XML-based Mathcad documents cross-referenced and configuration controlled
Arbortext (Tech Docs)
– Arbortext-authored documents combine text, Pro/Eimages, and Mathcad calculations
PTC argues its better to use Mathcad than spreadsheets. The biggest flaw with spreadsheets is that formulas and their ranges tend to be hidden, and it's too easy to believe the result without bothering with additional checks.
If nothing else, the CAD acquisition market is heating up. Expect more in the coming half-year.